Behind the Curtains

MIA INTAGLIATA, Seventh Grade Reporter

The spotlight is shining in your eyes, and sweat is beating down your face. The pressure’s on. The play’s success rides on this moment. The directions you gave earlier are somehow forgotten, and the many props are becoming heavy in your nervously shaking hand.

Many people would assume this is the type of pressure actors feel before a play; but surprisingly, the crew can experience this type of pressure, too. After all, some of their jobs will make or break the play.

“The play works like a painting. The actors are the painting while the crew is the artist,” explained Chris Anich, Nipher Middle school play director and drama teacher.

Many people at Nipher don’t seem to look past the curtains while watching the latest school play, while others don’t just look past the curtains but are behind the curtains. At Nipher, kids are given the opportunity to work the lights, move the scenes, and even design costumes. 

“I feel like the crew doesn’t get enough credit because they make everything, but the cast just reads a script,” said Paige Warfield, seventh grader. As it turns out, a lot of students agreed with her statement; although many made the point that the actors have to express a lot of emotions and rehearse constantly, while the crew might just do one night to prepare. However, for many plays at Nipher you have to work in the crew after school at least five times before you get to help in the actual production (working the lights, stage director and costume design). So it proves to be a very time consuming activity.

“I think people are more scared to join the cast because you have to put yourself out there to be judged,” said Elise Arthur, seventh grader who explained why she has never wanted to be in the plays before but has considered the crew for an after school activity.

If pay for participation was offered many students think that the cast would get paid more. But Margaret Nash, seventh grader, said, “I think the crew would get paid more because they have to deal with more expensive props and make more expensive props since if they started paying people, they would have to have a bigger budget to spend on props.”

Many students at Nipher consider the play to be a tough experience for anyone, whether you’re in the cast or crew. Both elements are time consuming and stressful. They both look like they take a lot of effort.

Stay with the spotlight, wether you control it or walk in it.