Are We Aware?

Mental Illness Is Rising

Art by Tronvillain on wikipedia.org

KYRSTIANA MARTZ, Seventh Grade Reporter

In the last few years, mental illness and depression have spiked 37% in adolescents, their ages ranging from 3-17 according to Time Magazine. Even though there has been a rise in mental illness, there hasn’t been a rise in medication and/or therapy.

“Sometimes, people don’t talk about it; or sometimes, people see signs but don’t know how to identify it,” Carmon Griffin, seventh grade counselor said when referring to mental health/illness at Nipher. Griffin also stated that there is a lot of depression, anxiety, ADD/ADHD at Nipher. Sometimes it’s hard to identify, but eventually it comes out in different ways, be it in behaviors, test scores, and class participation.

An article from cdc.gov states that only six in ten children (59.3%) aged 3-17 years with anxiety received treatment. With these statistics, this would mean that out of ten students in Nipher struggling with mental illness, only six are getting the help they need; and four are struggling in silence.

“I think there might be a trend here (at Nipher) with stereotypes,” Julie Lossos-Snow, educational support counselor stated. Separately, an anonymous student shared that there is a stereotype. These stereotypes are that someone struggling with depression is always sad, or that over dramatic kids with ADHD are really annoying. This is an issue affecting the student body nationwide.

Kymberly Berardi, New York City Board of Education, lists a couple of strategies for students that they can use throughout the school day to get them through an anxiety attack: breathing deeply while counting to ten in your head, washing your hands and face, using a fidget toy, counting in a different language, and journaling. These strategies are only tips and may not work for every individual. The best way to treat mental illness is to reach out to your parents/guardians.

Students have ways to help a peer going through a tough time mentally, as well. Some ways to help a friend are letting them vent to you, getting them help, or talking to your parents about them.

Griffin encourages students at Nipher to reach out to a school counselor, doctor, or parent/guardian if they feel like they are struggling with mental health.