Are Motivational Posters Actually Motivational?

Seventh graders Evie McDonald and
Madeleine Krewet motivate
people with their poster.
(Photo by Margaret McPheeters)

Seventh graders Evie McDonald and Madeleine Krewet motivate people with their poster. (Photo by Margaret McPheeters)

MARGARET McPHEETERS, Seventh Grade Reporter

You just got your grade for your math test and you have to retake it this afternoon, but you don’t think you are going to do much better than before. You walk by the drinking fountain and see a poster that says, “You can do it!” Suddenly, you think, “I can do it!”

There are so many different motivational posters around Nipher Middle School, each with a unique meaning; but do students and teachers actually see them?

“I have seen them. I think I have seen around 20 of them, but they are mostly just there for color,” answered Lucy Upmeyer, seventh grade.

“The posters bring joy into my day. If people are taking a test, it might motivate them to crush it. A lot of people use them as a pump up for their day.”

— Madeleine Krewet, Seventh Grade

20 seems like a lot of posters; but for seventh grade Social Studies teacher Kerry Schendel, 20 is a pretty low number.

“I have seen hundreds over the years, mostly around MAP testing. Some were painted on the walls, and others were motivational ceiling tiles.” Schendel said.

Obviously people see them, but do the posters actually help? After a two-week trial done by successtories.com, an independent research study concluded that working in an office with motivational posters increased employee performance success rate by 33%.

“They remind people to have a good mindset,” stated Maggie Ryan, seventh grade.

In a survey by the International Association of Professional Art Advisors, more than 80% of employees who work in offices with art on the walls reported that the art was important to their environment. Of those employees, nearly three out of four reported that their perception of the office would change if the art were removed. Seventh grader Evie McDonald doesn’t think that this is the case at Nipher.

“They only help a little. It might help teachers if they are having a hard time with students. They make people more positive and happier,” shared McDonald.

“The posters bring joy into my day. If people are taking a test it might motivate them to crush it. A lot of people use them as a pump up for their day,” explained Madeleine Krewet, seventh grader.