Helping The Environment

You may wonder why there is a ton of plastic in the ocean. It’s because the landfills are so high. (Picture from National Geographic)

CARSON LINDQUIST, Seventh Grade Reporter

Big, green, environmentally clean, recycling bin. According to National Geographic, only 20% of Americans recycle. 50% of animals that are in the ocean die because of eating plastic.

With recycling, you might not know what to recycle. You also might not know how full the landfills are. At one point, we were thinking about sending plastic into space; but the mission was too expensive according to National Geographic. 

Darius Edwards, seventh grader, says we should recycle “because it’s better to make new things out of old stuff than to just burn the plastic.”

Recycling is so bad in America that a South African company is helping with plastic milk bottles. They are being recycled to make roads in South Africa with the hope of helping the USA tackle its waste problem and improving the quality of its roads in South Africa. 

Cooper Venneman, a seventh grade student, said he enjoys recycling “because it takes time out of my contact, and I love saving the earth. My family recycles at home, and we enjoy it.” 

Sydney Sharp, a seventh grade student thinks it’s important to recycle “because when I’m older, I want to have a good life, unlike for the past couple years.” 

Seventh grader Billy Wingbermuehle explained that recycling is important to him “because it helps the earth become more clean than it is.”