Social Media and Its Place in Our Lives

Picture Source: seattlepi.com

SOFIA BOSCAN, Seventh Grade Reporter

Some people might think it’s a blessing, some might think it’s a curse, and some might think it’s both. Whether you use it to meet up with friends, look at inspiring quotes, keep up with your streaks, or post for likes, we all have incorporated social media into our lives. Social media impacts all people in both positive and negative ways. It is a great way to communicate with people you don’t usually see everyday; but, like every medicine, there are some side effects.

Many problems can happen on social media. Many people get away with things, but many don’t.  Lots of bullying can happen on social media, and in some cases it can lead to depression. According to childmind.org, more than half a million eighth through 12th graders have high depressive symptoms that grew by 33 percent in the duration of 2010 and 2015. Around these years, social media was introduced to younger ages which could be causing these signs of depression. In the same time span, the suicide rate for girls, in that age group, increased by 65 percent.

People also stand up on social media. For example, Greta Thunberg, a teen social media activist uses social media as a way to broadcast what she believes in. She speaks up for global warming and climate change. Social media has helped her spread her beliefs around the world. It is a way to spread your thoughts to the public. It gives you a foundation to start sharing what is in your mind. Many people, of all ages, express themselves on social media platforms.

Some teens use social media to be social with other people their age. Although it seems like an appropriate way to be using social media, it can get out of hand. Kerry Schendel, seventh grade social studies teacher, said that we “rely on it too much” and that it is going to “come back and bite us.”

Some teenagers get down about how many likes they get, if anyone has commented on their post, or how many followers they have. Many people let their self worth break under little social media norms, small things that have grown into our normal life. Sometimes, people post pictures and videos to simply try and hide their low self-esteem or they try and make others
feel jealous of how perfect their life is. It is like judging a book by it’s cover. Instead, you’re judging a person by their post.

Social media also provides a way to communicate with friends. Tons of people use Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook and other applications to dm/message friends and family. Micheal Bournstein, Nipher teaching assistant said, “Suddenly, people I haven’t talked to in forever popped up on my screen.”

People start using social media at different ages, and middle school proves to be a common time for students to begin using it. Many students at Nipher agreed that middle school is a good time to start social media. Social media can be fun and interesting, but being cautious and aware of the possibilities it has is equally as important.