ZOOM SCHOOL

NIPHER’S ZOOMING INTO SCHOOL THIS YEAR.

Students around the U.S. have found themselves learning from home through Zoom and other online platforms this fall. (Image source: pickist.com)

Pullquote Photo

Waking up is hard enough as it is, but with the added pressure of going “live” when you’re having a bad hair day or wanting to stay in your pajamas, the temptation of turning off your camera and hiding behind the screen is huge.”

— Mia Intagliata - KN Web Reporter

Zoom is an app with 300 million daily users. Whether you’re in school or running a meeting, Zoom is a go to. What used to be an app for meeting up with friends online has turned into a necessary tool for everyday life. 

With Kirkwood School District going online for the first nine weeks, every classroom uses Zoom daily. Although sometimes it can be unreliable and hard to use, it has some pretty cool features that can make online school a little more fun.

During social distancing mandates, Zoom has provided a place to meet, learn and converse with peers. (Image source: dover.af.mil.com)

One of the first basic tricks for Zoom is how to get into a Zoom when your WiFi isn’t working or there’s authentication errors. First, you should always start with restarting your iPad. Sometimes that alone will fix your problem. Many teachers, as a matter of fact, recommend restarting your iPad at least once a day whether it’s the morning of school or before you go to bed. Restarting your iPad helps it run a little faster and more smooth. Second, if you’re still having difficulties you should email your teacher or Mrs.Tashia Nelson, the technology expert here at Nipher.

Sometimes Wifi isn’t the only problem at play on Zoom calls. If your teacher’s video feed is lagging,  or you can’t see the screen share try turning off your camera for a couple of minutes if your teacher allows it. Running all these Zoom features at once may be too much for your homes’ bandwidth.

Waking up is hard enough as it is, but with the added pressure of going “live” when you’re having a bad hair day or wanting to stay in your pajamas, the temptation of turning off your camera and hiding behind the screen is huge. Although its hard, students should always keep that camera on and unmute themselves every once in a while to shout out the answer to a couple questions. It will surely make online school a lot less lonely. Nonetheless, everyone has those days where your hair won’t part right. So instead of turning off that camera, you can on Zoom, go to meeting settings, then you can turn on a filter called Touch Up My Appearance that does just that. 

Another helpful tip for online school is to turn on notifications for every app that involves homework or any assignments! This will include Schoology, Infinite Campus and more that your class uses. This helps you never have late assignments or miss a test. Another tip to not miss things is to set alarms for Zoom times and test times. Having a planner is also helpful, but sometimes it’s good to have a reminder set on your iPad a couple minutes ahead from when you have your meeting.